Struggles in Screencasting

with 1 Comment

Ah, Screencasting. I have viewed so many tutorials for various things that have used this method, but this was my first attempt to ever do it myself, and it was not as smooth-sailing as I had expected it would be. However, my problems mostly arose from the Windows Video editor, and not from the technologies emphasized in this class (the Screencasting extension and H5P).

While educational video has been becoming more prolific over the past several years, the pandemic seems to have amplified its utility. I wonder if going forward, it will become expected for teachers to create video content to supplement their instruction or as alternative for absent students. If this is to be the case, then it is important that I become comfortable using the technologies presented in class today.

The Screencasting extension used to make the interactive video above seems like a very useful tool for making effective instructional videos for classrooms. Its ability to simultaneously capture both audio and what is on the screen makes it ideal for creating content that follows the best practices of Multimedia Learning Theory. Even if teachers do not have skills in graphics, they are still able to compile a series of images that relate to what they are teaching and store them on PowerPoint, Word, or on an internet application. Multimedia Learning Theory and Dual-Coding Theory suggests that a combination of audio and corresponding images optimize learning, so Screencasting over such images while the teacher narrates a lesson is a relatively easy way to implement these principles in videos made for instruction. Of course, this will only really work if the teacher has a good plan before starting, ideally with a script.

These are important principles to keep in mind when creating videos for the classroom – if a teacher is going to take the time to create one, then they want to make sure it is as effective as possible in order to make the most efficient use of both student and teacher time. For example, a teacher may put in a great deal of time and effort in order to create a “talking-head” video with other related images, but Multimedia Learning Theory says this is actually less effective than not having the “talking-head.” Including it wastes the time the teacher put in to creating it, and it wastes the students time since they would learn more effectively without it.

The H5P tool is also something I believe would assist teachers in making more effective educational videos because it allows for student interactivity. One of the assumptions that underlies Multimedia Learning Theory is that learning is maximized by active processing. The interactivity that H5P enables forces students to actually engage with the content they are consuming, which turns watching a video from a passive to an active process.

All this being said, equity must be considered if a teacher does decide to use video as a method of instruction. If it is to be assigned as homework, teachers should not assume that all students have access to computers or reliable internet. Additionally, setting up technology for homework does require parental involvement and engagement, which may not be a reality for students with difficult home lives.

Although I agree that the principles in multimedia processing theory are very important for maximizes learning, I wonder if sometimes some principles are in conflict with engagement and interest? For example, one of the principles is to reduce all extraneous detail and visuals because the more stimuli than necessary confuses the learner. I have definitely found this to be true for myself, however I would like to ask whether sometimes having more than necessary could increase interest to the point where it outweighs the drawbacks?

One Response

1. kevberna
    |

I think you write very well, Kendall. Your post flows from one sentence to another and I find reading it a very pleasurable experience. You are right in mentioning that the H5P tool turns watching a video into an active process, and the attention required should translate well in the classroom. I think screencasting and narrating a Powerpoint, like you mentioned, could be made more effective by using this tool. Instead of a Kahoot at the end, few multiple choice questions inserted along the way will keep students engaged throughout the lesson. I also have reservations about doing it at home; the equity issue is paramount, but we can also add the many distractions that are at kids’ fingertips when they’re on a computer and supposed to be viewing and listening to important material. In the future, I am totally going to use your strategy of ending a post with a thoughtful kernel to consider. It’s not outrageous to think students can develop a selective attention and focus on the material rather than the ‘decorations’, especially if teacher use this delivery method more often. I look forward to chatting more about this.